Monday 15 January 2018

* Vera Lane Studio: Happy Birthday, Mr Poe!


Hello!

Did you know that this Friday is Edgar Allan Poe's birthday?
He would be 209 years old were he still alive. Alas, the poor man died at the age of just 40, but not before he left his literary mark on the world. He is best known for his macabre short stories and, of course, for his poems, especially The Raven. 

Here on Vera Lane Studio, we pay tribute to Poe with a new digi set. Edgar Allan Poe comes with a raven, a lantern and some pretty awesome quotes!

I made a birthday card and a journal spread. Here's my card:




I find masculine cards very tricky to make. However I think Mr Poe looks like a distinguished, elderly gentleman and seeing that these days I know a few 'more mature' men, this might be a handy image for some upcoming birthday cards.

I coloured the image with markers, fussy cut him and popped him on a patterned paper background with some washi tape to ground him. I edged the papers and the kraft card itself with bronze alchemy wax to give it a more luxurious feel.



The Happy Birthday sentiment is from Sentiments by Vera Lane Studio and I typed and printed 'old chap', which is not meant to be derogatory, but rather a term of endearment! The sentiment was cut into strips, inked with Vintage Photo and sponged with bronze wax.


Here is the journal spread I made in my mini art journal. This, I think, is the Poe we are more familiar with:

 

I used a headstone (meant to be Lenore's) from Zombie Accessories as well as the images from Edgar Allan to create my journal spread. The images are coloured with Copics and the background made with Dylusion Spray inks, acrylic paint, modelling paste, stencils and stamps. Some cheesecloth and washi tape were added for texture and interest.


I wanted to capture the descent into madness of the The Raven's narrator as he talks to the raven and gets just the one word, Nevermore, in reply time after time. Or maybe the grave could be Edgar Allan's ..... after all, there is no name engraved!


    

I hope you'll come along and play on Vera Lane. It's such a friendly, fun place to be!

You'll find us HERE on Facebook in a closed group.
 There's always tons of fabulous inspiration and eye candy!
I guarantee, you'll get a very warm welcome!




Thanks for stopping by today.
xoxo


I'd like to play along in these challenges:

Card
A Gem of a Challenge #210 Happy Anything 19/01 (2nd entry)
Dragonfly Journeys #109 Birthday 20/01
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #73 AG 20/01
My Time to Craft #362 Something New (alchemy wax) 26/01
Di's Digi Designs Challenge Birthdays 26/01
Brown Sugar #274 Birthday 31/01
Crafting with an Attitude #35 AG 31/01



I'd really love some feedback :)      
I read and appreciate all your comments. 

To leave a comment, please click on the G+1 button below.
(If this does not open up the comments, please click either the link to this particular post in the sidebar, or click on the red heading at the top of the post and, hopefully, the comments will open).

Thanks. x
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to read each one and appreciate you taking time to visit my blog!

Please remember, as this is a public blog, if you leave a comment on any post, you do so in the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit here.