Friday 5 July 2024

How to Create a Digital Collage + Video

 

Hello

I have been asked how I make digital collages.

I'm relatively new to it, so I'm no expert, but here I'll try to explain what I do.

I have a demo video where I make this digital scrapbook page:

 You can view it here: https://youtu.be/IYT5km7vJ2Q


Here's what you will need: 

1. Image editing software. Any program which allows you to place digital images in layers and switch the position of the layers.  

  • use PicMonkey, but there are lots to choose from; 
  • Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, Gimp (a free online download), Canva (I believe there is a free version) and My Memories Suite (free trial then purchase) are a few. 

2.. Some form of digital backgrounds (digital papers/digital images/patterns etc) and digital images.

3. Transparent background images and elements. These are usually png files. 

  *  Transparent background images: these allow your character or focal element to sit directly on the background. Adding drop shadows with your editing software makes it look more realistic.

  *  Transparent background elements: these are what we would call embellishments in traditional paper crafting, such as ribbons, bows, flowers, gems, stitching, frames, stickers etc.

  • There are many Etsy stores selling reasonably priced png digital files - read the descriptions to make sure what type of graphics file they are offering. Some of my favourite Etsy stores for png digital scrapbooking are: Artemis JournalsChezSimone Tresors, Miles Beyond the MoonArt House Whimsy. Other store selling printables may have some clip art available in png files.
  • Removing backgrounds can also be achieved digitally - your layering program can sometimes do this, but if not, there are plenty of online background remover programs and some are free. 
4. You can of course use jpg images from collage sets as your focal point and your digital project will look more like a scrapbook layout page.. 
5. Brushes (stamps), masks and painted edges (borders): These are useful for adding texture, detail and finishing touches. 

6. Words. I like to have sentiments and words on my pages. Your image editing software should be able to allow you to type with various fonts, but Alphas (alphabets), sentiments and word art can be purchased or sourced freely - just be aware of copyright laws. 

***

It's not easy to describe my process. 
I recorded my screen as I created a simple project 
You can see my process in this video:

I would encourage you to have a play. Go visit some of the digital scrapbook shops - many have galleries, blogs and tutorials where you'll pick up lots of tips.

If you have other tips that I've missed, please leave them in the comments below.

Have fun!

Carole x


3 comments:

  1. gorgeous image and beautiful made Carole........gr karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I really enjoyed watching it and learned some new techniques! I love your beautiful artistic style and admire your work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to read each one and appreciate you taking time to visit my blog!

Please remember, as this is a public blog, if you leave a comment on any post, you do so in the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit here.