First, please let me welcome Liz McGuire, my latest follower. Thank you for sharing my artsy journey, Liz!
Today is my GDT day at AALL & Create and as it is mixed media week, I have an artist trading cube to share. I had a lot of fun working in miniature as the cube is only 2.75 inches cubed. The images are a reminder that spring has arrived in the northern hemisphere and we can look forward to warmth, colour and new life.
The cube has four different scenes and a bird in a nest on top.
It has tiny wooden bobbins to act as legs, lifting it off the surface.
The elements are not glued on flat, but allowed to lift to create texture and dimension.
The wire bird in the nest was stamped twice, once in reverse, using a gelli plate, so that the two pieces could be glued together and the bird is visible on all sides.
Here are close up photos of each panel:
Work in Progress:
1. The panels were coloured with Distress Oxides using the smooshing technique. Scripted Semicircles were heat embossed with Distress Glazes and some of the wildflowers from In the Bucket were stamped.
2. Reverse Semicircles were stamped in black around the edges of each panel and texture paste was added through the Lotza Dotz stencil.
3. Small elements were stamped onto watercolour card and coloured with Inktense pencils and a water brush. They were fussy cut.
4. Words, wire birds and a butterfly were stamped onto card.
5. The cube was painted with black acrylic paint. Wooden bobbins were adhered for legs.
6. All elements were glued in place along with natural dried flowers, sisal and florists moss. A sisal birds nest was coloured with Oxide sprays, filled with moss, the large wire bird was stamped twice (one in reverse using a gelli plate) and adhered together, and confectionary eggs were added. Wire was twisted to creat a banner for hanging the word 'bird' and 'fly'.
Stamps Used for this project:
#326 Garden Tools
#449 Through the Meadows
#451 In the Bucket
#469 Scripted Semicircles
#487 Reverse Semicircles
Stencil used: #39 Lotza Dotz
To see the stamps, stencils, dies and washi tapes used, please visit
A list of stockists can be found here.
You'll find lots of inspiration on the
That's all for now.
Thanks for stopping by today.
I'd like to play along in these challenges:
Creative Artiste #66 Mixed Media 28/03 TOP 3
CRAFT Challenge #592 Spring/Easter 31/03
Star of the Month
Ellibelle's Crafty Wednesday Spring Colours 31/03 TOP PICK
Scrapping4Fun Challenges #188 Easter/Spring 1/04 WINNER
* Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #154 03/04
* Creative Moments €211 AG 05/04
* The House That Stamps Built #2421 AG 06/04
Thes Sisterhood of Crafters Easter/Spring 12/04 TOP 3
* Uniko Studio Challenge #64 Signs of Spring 24/04